+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Toilet leaks after 4 wax rings.

My dad had me install a new toilet in his bathroom. It ended up leaking. I redid it 4 times with a new wax ring each time and it still leaks. Since taking it off the last time, I discovered there are 4 porcelain stubs on the bottom which cause the toilet to sit about an eighth of an inch off the floor. Could this be causing my problem or am I just not tightening the toilet down enough? I am really afraid of cracking the new toilet. When I removed the toilet I discovered the wax ring was smashed down nice and evenly and it has about a quarter of an inch above the toilet flange.

I am enclosing a picture of the bottom of the toilet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toilet prob.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	3782  

Default Re: Toilet leaks after 4 wax rings.

Howdy there are different rings i prefer the ones with the plastic insert attached these correct many a leaking toilet. The 5th time try setting the toilet in place and sitting on it while some one else tightens the nuts. Considered checking the flooring to see how un level it is before the 5 time. Think how good you are geting at installing toilets hope your smiling.......

Thanks for your help. The floor is sheet linoleum over concrete and is very level. The flange is anchored to the concrete. I do not know what I would do if I had to reflange. I will try your suggestions.

When you install the toilet, do you have to put weight on the toilet to get it to squish the wax ring? If not, you need to get an extra-thick ring.

Is the top surface of the flange flush with the floor, or above or below it?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks for the reply. I have to put weight on the toilet to squish the wax ring. The top of the flange is about a half an inch above the surface of the floor.