Default Bathroom ceiling vent not working??

Hello! I have a bathroom ventilation question:

Short Question: How do I know if a seemingly not functioning bathroom vent is because of the vent fan itself or due to some other flawed aspect of the design? Also, do vent fans generally have standardized cutout sizes?

Longer background to question: I have a very old 210-ish year old home (gutted and renovated in 1887) whose two small full bathrooms had no ventilation prior to us purchasing the house. Thus, the bathrooms had peeling wallpaper and paint and tons of condensation and water streaking everywhere after even the fastest hot shower when we moved in.

One of the first things we did when we bought the home was to have ventilation ducts installed communicating with the outside and we purchased Air King systems (#1 in Consumer Reports) for 80 square foot bathrooms. The larger of the two bathrooms is 6 by 10.

Basically, since doing so last year, it's as if we never did it. Mirrors fog immediately, water streaks on the walls and it's starting to stain our ceiling that was painted only one year ago. Nothing clears condensation-wise until the bathroom door is open. The shower is almost directly under the vent too to add insult to injury... And again, we're talking under 5 minute showers.

What's the problem here? How do I even find out the problem? Who do I call? Do I have a different vent fan installed? Was it a flaw in the venting outside itself? I've heard some people claim that only Panasonics work well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Bathroom ceiling vent not working??

Hi yes most fans have a standard cut out ,hole in ceiling size, out so replacement is usually simply remove and replace the fan. Did the "communication" mean that a 3" pipe was installed to vent the exhaust out threw the roof?
    How tight does the bath door close if no gap at the bottom no way to draw in fresh air....

Thanks for the reply Timothy,

The vent is out to a pipe (don't know the size, but looks "standard" for the neighborhood) on the roof. It definitely communicates because when it's windy, I hear the unit's trap door snapping shut.

The door to the bathroom itself is an old wood door that is not tightly closed at all... This is a pretty old house, and air tends to move freely everywhere.

I was thinking of stepping up from the 80 CFM Air King to a 110 CFM Panasonic WhisperCeiling. Thoughts?

We've already committed to having the bathroom repainted at this point, but I want to make sure we nail this ventilation 100% before doing so.

Hi if the roof is not a issue consider having fan on and see if you feel air coming out the pipe to be sure there isn't a blockage. How big is the bath as 80 CFM might simply be too small for the room. Got a timer as need to exhaust 15 to 20 minutes after a shower.

I don't have a ladder tall enough ability to get on the roof, sadly, so I can't test that.

The bathroom is only 6X10, so I thought an 80 CFM should have been good enough, but maybe not... 110 would be the next step I guess (?).

With the fan on, hold a single square of toilet tissue up to it and see if draws.

My parents had one (I don't remember the brand) in their sauna that wasn't drawing air. I discovered that when it was installed, the duct was poorly installed so it was preventing the damper from opening properly.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    With the fan on, hold a single square of toilet tissue up to it and see if draws.
    I tried the toilet tissue test and it does draw just fine, staying up on the vent when it's on...

Any other ideas why this room won't clear of condensation? Should I just replace this 80 CFM vent with a 110 and see if it's any better?