+ Reply to Thread

Angry Removing "glued down" carpet

Hi all, I recently pulled the old carpet out of our basement. It was rubber backed glued to the concrete. I will presume, this has been there since the 70's. Now I have a floor with dried glue swirls with black foam/rubber stuck to it. I have tried a couple different adhesive removers, nothing works. I would like to paint a section of this floor but, I need this mess cleared first.
    Any ideas on how to cut or, at least soften this glue ? I tried scraping with a razor sc****r but, this is a long teadious process.
    I will be posting this in a few different areas here in hope of a solution that works.

Default Re: Removing "glued down" carpet

I do feel your pain. I did this last summer in our kitchen/family room. The carpet was glued onto old vinyl and wood. I used adhesive remover and found it didn't work well.
    I ended up scraping and sanding with an electric hand sander. It wasn't fun and took hours. But I was laying vinyl tiles and needed it to be smooth.
    Good luck!

I'm on a different PC from some saved "favorites" but there was a blade attachment advertised on TOH for a reciprocating saw (Sawzall) that was a 4" or so chisel type blade. It looked like the cat's meow for quick removal of glue down flooring. I'll post the link tomorrow. I watched a guy remove a truck windshield today with a similar type blade and it cut like butter.

David
    Last edited by NEC; 02-17-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Spelling