+ Reply to Thread

Talking Window in shower

We are remodeling one of the bathrooms. We want to convert a tub to a tub/shower combo. One problem, there is a wood window directly over the tub. We really don't want to remove the window (we are not sure how the front of the house would look without this window. It has two larger casement bedroom windows on each side. Regardless of what I do, I will replace the window with a new vinyl replacement window. I am considering a shower curtain that could be pulled closed to protect the window while showering or, I thought we might simply drywall/tile over the inside opening and leave the window in the exterior of the home?? Any thoughts on what to do? The window could be taken out but, new siding would have to be installed on the exterior and this particular siding 4' x 9' sheets are not readily available.

Default Re: Window in shower

Besides vinyl window replace trim with vinyl lumber trim. The wood is not likely to hold paint in that environment.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i've done these manymany times. JD is right, use a vinyl replacement window, then for the wood trim you can use basically any non-wood trim, vinyl, pvc, etc. they come in white and can be painted but don't have to be. just make sure to caulk every seam and gap to make sure water can't get behind it. also, a good idea is to also use a shower curtain on the window wall also but it's not necessary if you seal everything up very good.

Another suggestion which may or may not work. Use glass blocks instead of the window which will give you privacy and light. Other factors may not make that practical, such as needing to be able to open the window or outside aesthetics. Good luck.

MLBSF - I have this same issue. But I dont want to rip out the wood trim because it is tight against the tile, matches the rest of the house, and is in good shape. The window has been replaced with vinyl. I removed all the loose paint, put 2 coats of Kilz Original on the wood, caulked the seems, and then two more coats of high end interior semi gloss paint. I was planning on caulking against the window and between the casing and tile with tub caulk to add some more protection. I dont want to have to put up a "window shower curtain" because I feel like they get in the way and mildw thrives ont he back side, but I dont want water damage either.

Do you think I will be okay with what I described above or should I bite the bullet and add the curtain anyway? The window, and window sill will most definately get soaked 2 to 4 times a day.

The window is double hung and I am also concerned about water getting in the wall through the window.

Quote Originally Posted by watersrv View Post
    MLBSF - I have this same issue. But I dont want to rip out the wood trim because it is tight against the tile, matches the rest of the house, and is in good shape. The window has been replaced with vinyl. I removed all the loose paint, put 2 coats of Kilz Original on the wood, caulked the seems, and then two more coats of high end interior semi gloss paint. I was planning on caulking against the window and between the casing and tile with tub caulk to add some more protection. I dont want to have to put up a "window shower curtain" because I feel like they get in the way and mildw thrives ont he back side, but I dont want water damage either.

Do you think I will be okay with what I described above or should I bite the bullet and add the curtain anyway? The window, and window sill will most definately get soaked 2 to 4 times a day.

The window is double hung and I am also concerned about water getting in the wall through the window.
    I'm not MLBFS but you might want to consider this. How often do you have to repair and repaint the window frames on the outside? They are not exposed to hot water and steam twice a day. The sill is slanted to allow water to run off but the stool is flate and level.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I wonder if a grout sealer would add any protection to the wood surfaces? I know they usually require a porous surface, but it might be worth a try. I am thinking of the aerosol versions rather than the wipe on. Anybody have an opinion on that?

Other than that, you need a procedure in place that the last "shower-er" of the morning needs to wipe down the wood surfaces with a dry washcloth!

if you're going to leave a painted sill or trim around the window i don't think you should have it exposed directly to the water. just trying to think of options, how about going over the wood trim with the vinyl or pvc trim? maybe you can make it into a bigger shelf that can be useful........maybe you can repost and see if anyone knows of a paint or expoy/paint like material that will stand up to alot of direct water. how about putting up a shower rod and cutting the plastic curtain to just hang over the window and not cover the entire wall? without seeing it (maybe you could post a picture) i'm not too keen on leaving paint as the only material protecting the woodwork in a shower.