+ Reply to Thread

Default outside unit runs constantly

Hi all. Weird thing happened to my HVAC system toward the end of summer. All of a sudden one day my outside a/c unit stopped shutting off when my blower on my air handler shut off. I kept an eye on it and noticed that no matter how hot it was outside, how long the air handler ran as well, the outside unit stayed on constantly. I started having to shut it off at my breaker box otherwise it would still be running as i'm typing this. The thought crossed my mind that it was just the fan running too but i noticed one day that my lines from the outside unit that run into my air handler had frost on them! Obviously had been running for some time and was the compressor running as well. Thoughts???

Default Re: outside unit runs constantly

Maybe a bad contactor that's stuck closed or if it was pitted really bad maybe it welded itself closed??? Was it blowing cold or warm???

yes it was blowing cold. Thats why i mentioned that the lines would frost up if i left it on and the air handler wasn't running.

With the air handler not on is the reason for the freeze up. The air handler allows the refridgerant to evaporate by passing warm air over the coil inside the handler.

I'm also thinking the same as Sten -- contactor
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

yes i know that, i was just pointing out that it froze up so that everyone knew it was still cooling and the compressor was running. What contactors are you speaking of? Where are they located?

You have a contactor in the condensor, check that, sorry I got back to you so late, been real busy, for a change