+ Reply to Thread

Default slow it down and add costs

Love your shows with a couple of exceptions. This last one spend time on the roof or deck top. You could have made a whole show on that alone. You often time go way to fast. Not all of us are experienced carpenters. We are weekend warriors. How about this? Have me sit with the tape and ask questions as you go along. Ok, anyone. That little diddy you did with sloping the deck. How much? Did you do yourselves? How about flashing the deck posts. I have estimates for up to 9K on my Mom's home for a guy who put up deck post incorrectly and they leaked between the walls for 20 years. How does non professionals make sure they have people who will do the work correctly? Make suggestions on this. Bet you could do on every show.

The other issue that has always bothered me is cost. I know it will be a little different in different parts of the county but come on. It could be the neatest thing in the world but if it is too expensive then I don't want to take time to study. You mentioned wood with 'glass?' coated ends. Explain please. More costs. I will now go away.

Default Re: slow it down and add costs

I'll defend the show a little on this one. I don't think it's feasible to go into the amount of construction detail you're looking for. Specifics such as the pitch of the roof under the deck are a little beyond the scope of the show. There's a lot to do this season and there's no way they could ever cover every bit of detail. I think they do a great job of introducing concepts and showing an overview of what is done. If viewers need more to complete their own project, they then have enough to get started on their own more detailed research.

The area I will agree with you is around costs. I too would like to at least get a general idea what things cost. They often talk about budget constrained decisions, but the viewer can't grasp that without some numbers. (But in the show's defense I will offer that construction costs often differ in different regions, the show deals with a private families' finances, actual costs to the families are different than a regular person might get because of discounts vendors give to get on the show, etc)

Lastly, I'll share my one complaint about the last episode. The feature on Jules Aarons, while nice, didn't keep with the show's usual bit of enhancing architectural or construction knowledge.

as for cost, they cant get into that sort of thing for a few reasons, the first being they are constantly using brand new products which arent out on the market yet.

2) labour rates vary from region to region and company to company. same goes for material costs

as for showing how to do something, its extremely difficult to do such a thing when these projects take place over many months and thye only have 22 minutes a week to document whats been going on at that specific house
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    as for cost, they cant get into that sort of thing for a few reasons, the first being they are constantly using brand new products which arent out on the market yet.

2) labour rates vary from region to region and company to company. same goes for material costs

as for showing how to do something, its extremely difficult to do such a thing when these projects take place over many months and thye only have 22 minutes a week to document whats been going on at that specific house
    Add to this list that TOH is no longer a DIY show, it's about using qualified contractors and design spe******ts - all of which cost money. The average layman isn't familiar with most of the industry terms, so trying to explain in terms that everyone could understand would be futile. IMHO, even when the TV personalities try to translate things into "homeowner speak", they fail and end up making things even more confusing to everyone. This is actually an area where Kevin has helped, since he walked in off the street not knowing anything about construction.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Credit the show for a fairly decent discussion of the costs of LED lighting in the most recent episode.

Question Re: slow it down and add costs

I agree about not showing costs but this year we can't find TOH on any network--where are they? We live in eastern PA and can't find any but OLD (VERY OLD) shows!

I think they lost the whole idea of the show in recent years--they build millionaire's homes or people with NO budget!

We got fed up because every single thing they did was way out of our budget. What happened to regular houses for middle-class or even upper-middle class houses like Bob V did and the original shows did?

I am a weekened warrior that have had contractors compliment me on my work while they cringe at the tasks I take on. I try to soak up every little "trick" that each contractor is doing. This has saved me much headache and many..why didn't I think of that first. Granted I can't afford to do every thing, but I will consider what they say and then research.

It does amuse me to see how much of the "latest and greatest" products only seam to last the one season as I am watching the old reruns.

To this I thank TOH and especially Ask TOH for every thing I have learned over the years.