+ Reply to Thread

Default need ideas on how to paint

I need help on how I can paint my walls and not get it on the ceiling. My exterior walls are 10 ft. high but rise up to 14 ft. At 10 feet I have alcoves (I was told plant shelves) which go back about 3 ft. then the walls rise up another 4 ft.at the highest point. These are in my living room, dining room, kitchen and hall. I want to paint but even if I use a 12 ft. ladder, I can't reach back far enough to paint and if I use a roller I can't reach to tape the ceiling off. Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	115.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	3778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	113.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	3779  

Default Re: need ideas on how to paint

Probably the easiest thing to do will be to use the ladder and get up onto the "shelf", then you can simply cut the wall/ceiling line with a paint brush, no tape required. If you can't get up there, then get yourself a painters shield and a long stick, tape the stick to the shield handle to extend it, do the same with a paint brush. Have a helper hold the shield while you run the brush. Don't use a very wet brush when using the shield or you'll force paint under it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'm sorry I have never painted before, what do you mean cut? And are those shelves sturdy enough for me to get on, or are they just sheet rock? and can I buy a "shield" from the paintstore?

Quote Originally Posted by ks010302 View Post
    I'm sorry I have never painted before, what do you mean cut? And are those shelves sturdy enough for me to get on, or are they just sheet rock? and can I buy a "shield" from the paintstore?
    Cutting in is where you load the tip of the brush with paint (tap the bristles in the edge of a pool of paint in your pan, then carefully wipe the excess off both sides ) and "cut" the line you wish to make. If done properly, the paint will flow from the brush exactly where you want it to go. Too much paint and you have a mess everywhere, too little paint and you'll be frustrated and start rushing the job, causing sloppy painting. It sounds scary, it sounds hard, but it's actually quite easy to do, just go slow and carefully and you'll get the hang of it.

I can't say what the strength of the shelf is, but from the looks of the picture you've got a wall to sit on (plenty strong ) and likely a finished framework that will also support your weight, though if you can't see obvious fasteners or means of support, then don't bear any weight on the area. If you can't sit on the top of that wall and reach out the remaining 28", then you need to hire a pro to do the painting for you. You can probably do it without ever leaving the ladder, however, not knowing your comfort with heights, ladders, or balance ... ???

Any place that sells paints will sell paint shields. A 12" drywall knife will work equally well, or a piece of heavy cardboard such as a cereal box or construction paper.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Post Re: need ideas on how to paint

Thank you so much for explaining things to me! I want to do as much by myself, so now that I have a good idea of what I'm doing I will start practicing before the actual painting. Thanks again!