+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default rain still puddles on roof

hi,
    we just had a roof repair, but still when it rains, the water does not drain down but stays puddled on one side of our roof; the roofer said that this was normal, but this is not so with our next door neighbor, no water is on their roof. what shall we do? we have the usual urban house roof.

Default Re: rain still puddles on roof

howdy what is the roofing material- if tar and gravel then you have 24 hours for the standing water to evaporate without damaging the membrane as otherwise over time the tar breaks down in the wet area and greatly reduces the life of the roof.

Tim thanks for responding, it is tar and this has been weeks ago that our roof was repaired.

Hi as it is tar is it coated with silver paint or gravel?
    Again tared roofs need to have puddles that evaporate 24 hr after moisture or it will cause the area to fail.
    How big is the puddle? what was done in the repair? The correct repair would be to build up the roofing deck under the puddle area an or slope the roof this would require removal of the tar roof. How old is the roof? Average life for tar is about 20 years if 3 ply and 25 to 30 for 5 ply.

Tim, I'm not sure. it is tar but i do not see any kind of gravel. the puddle is large, our roof is very old.. 20+. but before this repair, my mother had another person and he seemed to have started the problem because there was dent. i do appreciate your very valuable input.. what should i tell my mother to do? should we get another roofer because he does not seem to think that anything is wrong? the roof is guaranteed for 10yrs so i am puzzled at what to tell her..

thanks again.

Hi not knowing what was done in the repair or details about the warranty.... It is not a bad idea to have another roofer come and inspect and give your his or her opinion about the life left in the old roof and what to do at this point.