+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calcats

Unhappy Calcats

We've been having trouble with our refrigerator shutting off and then coming back on. We noticed ice cream getting soft and put it in a bowl to prevent a mess, and an hour later it was frozen again. I cleaned under the refrigerator and got rid of a "herd of dust bunnies", I don't think the former owners ever thought to clean under the refrigerator. We had a repair man look at the problem, but he couldn't find anything wrong. I'm pretty handy but don't know much about appliances. Does anyone know a relay or switch I should check or replace?? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Calcats :confused
    Last edited by calcats; 02-08-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Title: Refrigerator problem

Default Re: Calcats

Make sure that the vents are not blocked by ice or contents of the freezer so that the fan can circulate the air. After that, most cooling problems can be traced to the thermostat/thermocoupler.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: Calcats

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Make sure that the vents are not blocked by ice or contents of the freezer so that the fan can circulate the air. After that, most cooling problems can be traced to the thermostat/thermocoupler.
    A.Spruce, is the thermocoupler easy to replace? Can I just buy one and put it in myself?

All I can say is that it was on the two Kenmore refers I did it to. On these Kenmores, there are two different thermostats, one for the freezer and one for the fridge. The freezer is ultimately what controls the temp of the whole unit because the cold is made in the freezer then ducted by fan into the fridge. The freezer thermostat controls the compressor, the fridge thermostat controls a dampener door in the duct between the freezer and fridge which determines how much cold air is directed to the fridge. I don't remember at this point how I tested them before replacing, but it was not difficult. Google your brand and model fridge and look for a diagnostic and replacement procedure.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: Calcats

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    All I can say is that it was on the two Kenmore refers I did it to. On these Kenmores, there are two different thermostats, one for the freezer and one for the fridge. The freezer is ultimately what controls the temp of the whole unit because the cold is made in the freezer then ducted by fan into the fridge. The freezer thermostat controls the compressor, the fridge thermostat controls a dampener door in the duct between the freezer and fridge which determines how much cold air is directed to the fridge. I don't remember at this point how I tested them before replacing, but it was not difficult. Google your brand and model fridge and look for a diagnostic and replacement procedure.
    Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

You're welcome.