+ Reply to Thread

Default Re-Facing fireplace

I have a Fireplace that uses a set of direct vent logs. The exterior of the fireplace is brick, built out in a couple of places to look like columns (the extend 1/2" out more than the other bricks). It also has 3 courses of bricks that jut out 1/2" per course under the mantel (stone mantle). I am looking to face the entire thin with granite tiles 12 x 12) What is the best way to build up the thickness to get the entire thing flat? I was thinking thinset to smooth the bricks flat, and cut pieces of 1/2" concreate board fastened with tapcons into the brick to take up the space (probably using some sort of adhesive as well where the boards are layered out).

Any other options?

Default Re: Re-Facing fireplace

I was about to post a similar question about my fireplace, which is simply a brick-faced fireplace that I'd like to re-face.

The only option I'd heard until I read your post was white plaster. I had an individual over doing some plaster work on my walls, and he talked about multiple fireplaces he'd plastered over.

I was going to ask if anyone had experience with that, how it lasted, and how challenging it would be to in turn add a mantel/hang a flat TV on it. With the possible wiring, I was also going to ask about burked's solution - using concrete board or the like!