+ Reply to Thread

Default Water dripping from bathroom fan

During moderate to heavy rain, water drips from our bathroom fan vent. Is this a problem for an electrician or a general handyman? My assumption is that there's something wrong with the exterior vent but I'm not sure who to call to fix it.

Default Re: Water dripping from bathroom fan

As long as your handyman knows to turn off the circuit breaker (assuming they even need to go near the fan) then I see no reason to have an electrician invovled.

Depending on how the exterior vent is situated it could need to be re-sealed or replaced. Or it could have nothing to do with the vent but could be a leak anywhere on your roof that needs attention.

I'd start with either a handyman or roofer.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

diddo on the last two responses!

Howdy without knowing what type of vent is on the roof it may be as simple as needing some caulking or putting a pipe vent cap on to stop the leak..

ditto the top three. Look at TOH project page and there's a step by step project on how to install a bath fan. Look at the steps specifically for the roof/siding venting. It'll give you a place to start so you can see how yours is done and what you might need to do to replace the cover if that's what's leaking.

I had the same problem. I tried re sealing around the fan 2-3 times with a wide swath of flashing to no avail. It did not quit until I replaced the roof. How old is your roof? I would of course get a professional opinion before replacing my roof. Mine was about 20 years old.

Depending where your vent is located roof or gable.You might want to reseal your vent also check your vent hose for water,might have to empty it.Make sure your vent hose is properly installed.If your vent is on the roof you could return a 90 deg.on it to prevent rain from getting into the pipe.

Can any one post a few more info regarding this.

---------------
    Cheap SEO | Advanced SEO | SEO Search Engine | SEO Consultancy

I don't think this is PDXblue's problem, but if you have an exhaust vent pipe running upwards through an unheated attic, water vapor can condense on the inside of the vent pipe and run back down into the fan. The easy way to solve this is to just wrap the vent pipe in insulation.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.