+ Reply to Thread

Default ownership of Auburndale house

I am hoping someone can clear up some confusion for me and others who grew up on the same street as the Auburndale project. My parents owned our house on that street from 1947 until 1989 and I lived there from the age of 8 until age 25 (1965). Neither I nor several others who grew up there remember Jules Aaron, nor his son who said in the last program that he grew up in that house. Three of us independently identified the house as the one belonging to the Ingbars, for whom several of us babysat during the 1950's. We recognized features of the inside, although the Ingbars had a swimming pool in the back yard and this house does not, at least not now. Would appreciate any help in clearing up our confusion.
    Thanks

Default Re: ownership of Auburndale house

According to the City of Newton Assessor's Database, the house was purchased by Jules Aarons in May of 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by sidelines View Post
    According to the City of Newton Assessor's Database, the house was purchased by Jules Aarons in May of 1989.
    Well if that's the case, that segment of the show was one big fat lie. If I remember correctly from the show, the son said he grew up watching his father develop pictures in that room. The impression the show gave was that it took place anywhere from the 40s into the 60s. I looked up Aarons' obit and it said he gave up photography in 1981 because of failing eye sight.

So the question is, did the show knowingly air a farce? Or did they know the Aarons familiy had the house until 2008(?) and just never verified how far back they went, which also meant Aarons' son put one over on them?

This Old House - Please set the record straight. Your integrity is at stake here.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
    Well if that's the case, that segment of the show was one big fat lie. If I remember correctly from the show, the son said he grew up watching his father develop pictures in that room. The impression the show gave was that it took place anywhere from the 40s into the 60s. I looked up Aarons' obit and it said he gave up photography in 1981 because of failing eye sight.

So the question is, did the show knowingly air a farce? Or did they know the Aarons familiy had the house until 2008(?) and just never verified how far back they went, which also meant Aarons' son put one over on them?

This Old House - Please set the record straight. Your integrity is at stake here.
    OK, I'm going to check myself a little here. I just went to the Assessor's Database myself. It doesn't list the entire sales history - just the most recent two. It shows the Sharmas buying the house from the Aarons family in January of this year and then a prior sale in 1989 for $1. That $1 is the key. It doesn't necessarily mean that is when Aarons first acquired the house. The $1 cost is often used for family transfers, deed changes, etc and probably means that 1989 transaction was just a paper one. I'd now guess Aarons had some connection to the house prior to 1989. Perhaps he wasn't a fulltime resident and rented it out for certain periods which is why the original commenter remembers a different family.

The discrepancies here in this situation highlights the fact that memories fade, even the most well-intentioned rememberances can be factually wrong. The participants involved are often just mistaken and memory references get criss crossed.

Homeowners should attempt to complete the deed history on the home either themselves or hire a deed history spe******t. My opinion is to do it sooner (now) rather than later since county budgets are being slashed and the original documents will probably not survive much longer, sadly.