+ Reply to Thread

Default Tin ceiling over plaster laths

I have a 100 year old home. 80% of the original plaster ceiling in the kitchen had fallen off the laths. My wife and I removed the rest of the plaster so that only the laths remain. We want to put in a tin ceiling (faux tin ceiling made of plastic or the like). What should I do to prep the ceiling? Is it necessary to take down the laths and then put up a new sub-ceiling like plywood or can I simply place the tiles over the old plaster laths? The laths are in very good shape and appear level and even across the span of the ceiling. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Default Re: Tin ceiling over plaster laths

if the lath is in good shape, like you said it was, then you can just put 3/8" plywood over the lath which will give you a nice smooth surface to attach the tin ceiling to. don't just put the tin ceiling on the lath directly, it's next to impossible to nail into lath between joists and the nails might not hold well. also, the plywood will give you some decent sound insulation between floors.

Wink Re: Tin ceiling over plaster laths

I agree with MLBSF, do what he said but make sure you screw the 3/8" plywood to the ceiling joists and not just the lath. The lath will never hold the weight.

Calcats