+ Reply to Thread

Default Turning water off

Hi, I am in the process of turning off the water to the outside for the winter. I know where the turnoffs are for each of my 2 outside faucets.

One of them, however, does not have the round knob to actually turn off the water but there is also no lever either. I actually found the round knob in the insulation around where the water turn off was. When I put it on where it goes (I dont know what that is called), it won't actually turn anything either.

How do I fix this? I have some other pipes without the knobs as well, specifically where one of the washer hoses is hooked up to but that was installed by the company that delivered it so I did not see how they got the water on. Is it as "simple" as taking pliers and turning something to actually turn the water on and off?

We bought this house over 6 months ago so this is my first forray into something like this

Default Re: Turning water off

Quote Originally Posted by bculp View Post
    Hi, I am in the process of turning off the water to the outside for the winter. I know where the turnoffs are for each of my 2 outside faucets.

One of them, however, does not have the round knob to actually turn off the water but there is also no lever either. I actually found the round knob in the insulation around where the water turn off was. When I put it on where it goes (I dont know what that is called), it won't actually turn anything either.

How do I fix this? I have some other pipes without the knobs as well, specifically where one of the washer hoses is hooked up to but that was installed by the company that delivered it so I did not see how they got the water on. Is it as "simple" as taking pliers and turning something to actually turn the water on and off?

We bought this house over 6 months ago so this is my first forray into something like this
    Check to see the actual type of fitting that the valve has. It may be a hex type fitting or a simple wrench may open and close it. The knob is usually just a convenient way to open and close but other tools will more than likely do the trick for you. You can also take a picture and take it to your local home improvement store and they should be able to assist you with the right fitting.

Retroloco-LJ
    http://fhfurr.com
    Don't kill the dream, execute it.

Retroloco-LJ
    Hidden Content

What about turning the valve at the street...where the meter is?

Quote Originally Posted by daspyda View Post
    What about turning the valve at the street...where the meter is?
    That will shut off the water supply to the entire house.

Replace the valves/bibs with new ones that operate correctly.

Note that the original post is over two years old.

Replacing the shutoff valves is the best option, but it will also be a difficult one. Based on the language of the original poster, I'd recommend hiring a plumber.

The terms the original poster didn't know are handle for the 'knob' and stem for where the handle attaches. In a pinch, you can use a pair of pliers to turn the stem clockwise.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.