+ Reply to Thread

Default Concrete screeding

I'm getting ready to pour a concrete patio which meets with an existing half-round concrete step. I have a good surface opposite the radius to run a screed board but I'm not sure about what to use on the outside radius for the screed board to ride. The radius area of the existing concrete step is about 6 feet wide. Also, about how long should I wait between screeding and floating the surface? It's a relatively small area,6'X20'. Any ideas? Thanks.

Wink Re: Concrete screeding

Quote Originally Posted by At Home View Post
    I'm getting ready to pour a concrete patio which meets with an existing half-round concrete step. I have a good surface opposite the radius to run a screed board but I'm not sure about what to use on the outside radius for the screed board to ride. The radius area of the existing concrete step is about 6 feet wide. Also, about how long should I wait between screeding and floating the surface? It's a relatively small area,6'X20'. Any ideas? Thanks.
    You need to make a form for the step out of 1/2" x 4" wood to make the radius. You will have to take the form off when the concrete is nearly set up, and fill in your stake holes in the patio. At the same time you can finish the riser part of the step, be sure not to take the form off too soon or the step will sag. If you've never done this before it would be a good idea to have someone with you that has.
    Good Luck Calcats

Default Re: Concrete screeding

Calcats: I didn't explain myself well enough. Sorry. The radius step is pre-existing. I am pouring up to that, out to a stone wall with cap stones. I can run a screed board along top the cap stones but I'm not sure what to do along the existing round concrete step. The new concrete will be 4" lower than the existing radius step. The radius is about 6 feet.

Also, I'm going to be pouring a concrete driveway which will butt against my car garage and my RV garage which are at 90 degrees to each other. Same problem. Do I set a 1X board up against the existing slab and use that to screed on? If so, do I just leave it in place after? The car garage slab is flat and level. The RV garage slab was poured with a belly in the middle for drainage.

Thanks again,

At Home

Default Re: Concrete screeding

You can do it one of two ways:
    1 - Set a form board a few inches away from the step that follows the contour of the step and pour up to it, but not past it. Screed off the fresh pour, then immediately pull the form along the step and finish the pour. Use the the first portion of the pour to set the height of the backfill.

2 - Make a screed board that has a hook on the end to accommodate the height of the step, meaning you know your pour height, then make a piece for the end of the screed board that will go up the face of the step and rest on top of the step. Kind of a Z shape. Use the face of the step as the form and the top of the step as your screed point.

If your pour is the width of the step and runs 20' out and away, then I recommend pouring the slab in sections so that it's easier to manage. Break it into equal lengths, such as four 5' sections. Pour the step area first, skip one, pour one, skip one. When the concrete is set, strip the form between the slabs and the open sections, then pour the open sections. This will allow you more access for screeding and working the concrete. You're also pouring smaller sections, which will be easier to stay on top of than a single, monolithic pour.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!