+ Reply to Thread

Default Clock built into cabinets stopped working

We have a clock built into our original 1969 cabinets. Its at the top of the cabinets above our sink with a light right below it. The clock stopped ticking and we can't figure out how to pry off the face (we've even tried to take off the hands). We've also tried to go under the clock through the light with no success. We'd like to get it working again, by replacing its battery (if it has one) or fixing the wiring. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Clock built into cabinets stopped working

Great time for new cabinets- wish life was that easy.

Can you post a picture of the clock face and from behind?

Most battery clocks are held in place by a nut that tightens down behind where the hands attach. Pull the hands off and remove the nut, the motor will drop out the back. Obviously, you would need access to the back of the clock to remove it in this manner.

Considering that the cabinets/house are 1969, it is likely that the clock is electrically *****ed, not battery *****ed. That being said, it will be hard wired from the back, requiring access to disconnect the clock for cleaning, inspection, or repair.

Has any electrical work been done since you've noticed the clock not working? Is it possible that the ***** to the clock was severed at that time?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Great time for new cabinets- wish life was that easy.
    I wish! We just put new siding and windows on the house, so we are a bit strapped. It is defiantly a project on our radar though!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Can you post a picture of the clock face and from behind?

Most battery clocks are held in place by a nut that tightens down behind where the hands attach. Pull the hands off and remove the nut, the motor will drop out the back. Obviously, you would need access to the back of the clock to remove it in this manner.

Considering that the cabinets/house are 1969, it is likely that the clock is electrically *****ed, not battery *****ed. That being said, it will be hard wired from the back, requiring access to disconnect the clock for cleaning, inspection, or repair.

Has any electrical work been done since you've noticed the clock not working? Is it possible that the ***** to the clock was severed at that time?
    The other side of the clock is a former exterior wall that is now an interior wall for our den. I could have access from our partially finished attic, but I would have to cut through the finished floor up there and I really don't want to do that.

Here's a photo.

ugh.. can't get the photo part to work

You can go here to view the picture.
    http://woodwebhome.com/gallery/main...._itemId=389480
    Last edited by crystalmariew; 11-12-2010 at 04:09 PM.

That link doesn't seem to want to work. You can upload it directly to TOH by using the toolbox below the "reply to thread" box where you type in your responses.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!