+ Reply to Thread

Default Intall a blind (Flush) beam

I am in the process of moving a beam into the attic to be flush with the ceiling joists that run perpendicular. My question What kind of load is on the ceiling joists? Do I need to worry about the ceiling joints moving either apart or together when I cut them to slide the beam in? Is the roof truss load on the ceiling joists?

I have a house 25 x 60 with a hip roof. The area of this project and work is central to the house where the ceiling joists run parallel to the common rafters.
    To further explain. My living room was 17 x 19 with an inset of 8 for a patio area covered under the existing roof line. I have put the exterior wall out to the roof line to include the 8 into the living room. The ceiling joists run the full 25 out from one exterior wall to the old roof line that covered the patio area (and is now the new exterior wall). The ceiling joists over lap on top the old exterior wall (8 back from the new exterior wall).

I am face placing two 16 x 20 glulams flush with the bottom of the ceiling joists. The beam is reaching from one interior wall to another and each of these walls are on top of poured concrete basement walls. I will hang the ceiling joists off both sides of the beam. Before I take out the old wall, I will have both sides of the old wall fully framed with temporary walls to support the ceiling joists from downward movement. Should I be concerned with any other direction of movement when I cut the slot for the beam in the ceiling joists?

Default Re: Intall a blind (Flush) beam

I already posted this on your other thread-

Yes, if the ceiling joists are part of the truss system and you are cutting all of them to install the beam , the weight of the roof could cause them to spread out and the roof collapse. It may be that you will need not only to support them but prevent them from spreading.

You might want to have some one who knows trusses check them out, they may be full span trusses in which case no center beam support would be required.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for the replies. For sizing the beam, I am working with a local lumber yards' project estimator.

How would you properly support the ceiling joists/roof from spreading/collapsing? Is this still viable to expect the beam to hold the ceiling joists hung off both sides?

Possibly you can cut a hole in the end of the house, slid the beam in on top of the bottom chords ,properly supported of course, support the beam on both ends and use brackets to attach the bottom chords to the beam. When I say properly supported, I mean you will need to add shoring so the chords don't break under the weight of the beam before you get it supported on the ends. This would not be a very easy job to accomplish.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-09-2009 at 01:41 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb