+ Reply to Thread

Default Updating a mobile home

Not sure if anyone else here has a mobile home but I am looking to update the inside of mine..the things that really bug me are the strips that run down the walls to cover the seams. I would really like to fill them in or something so that I can paint over them and give my house more of a 'real' house look rather than a mobile home look.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fill in these cracks and texture them to match the texture of the vinyl wallpaper that's on the walls?

Default Re: Updating a mobile home

I've had good luck with washing the walls down to remove dirt and grime, rinsing well. Prime the walls with Bullseye 123 (blue label ), then you can tape the seams and float the walls smooth. Once that is done, texture as you like. It will be necessary to prime the walls again with Bullseye 123 (two nice, even coats) before painting with your choice of paint (again, two nice even coats ).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I don't need to fill the seams with anything before taping it off? Or do I put drywall mud on it AFTER taping the seams?

Assuming that you're dealing with drywall covered walls and not paneling, you will apply fiberglass mesh tape over the seams. Use drywall joint compound for the first coat, drywall topping compound for the subsequent coats and floating the walls smooth.

You will need tarps to protect the floors.
    Drywall taping pan - preferably a stainless steel pan for best performance.
    A selection of drywall knives 6" and 10" or 12".
    Fiberglass mesh tape for seams
    paper drywall tape for corners
    drywall joint compound for first coating
    drywall topping compound for all subsequent coats
    clean 5 gallon bucket with lid
    mixing paddle with drill to whip drywall compounds smooth and creamy
    Patience - Drywall taping is an art that takes time to get the hang of and master. The trick is not to apply too much at any one time, and to smooth it out as best you can before it's dry. I'd suggest looking for videos on the subject for further assistance.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the info!!

Well, its drywall under the vinyl wallpaper that's on the walls. I've tried taking that off but it just starts to pull chunks of the drywall with it. Do you think this process would still work for that?

Yes, I've dealt with it a few times in this manner with good results.

You cannot remove the vinyl surface from the drywall because it is the finished surface of the drywall itself, meaning the drywall was made with that vinyl as the finished surface. It is only used in trailers because it doesn't require conventional finishing, so it's faster to install. Seams have trim strips applied over them and fasteners are caulked. I've seen some cases where the seams have been caulked instead of trim strips, but the same problem still remains, visible seams and fasteners that will be unsightly unless properly taped.

Thanks for all your advice! I'll start looking for some videos on drywall taping like you suggested

Start with youtube, there's surprisingly a lot of things there.