+ Reply to Thread

Default Shower head water leak in wall

Hi
    I just moved into a house that had been remodeled, and within the first two times I used the shower, I discovered a leak in the shower head! It leaked at the elbow inside the wall.

I took some of the gypsum lath/plaster drywall out, and put a fan on it. It seems to have dried out quite a bit. I'm going to replace the lath-plaster on the little stub wall with sheetrock drywall when i'm done with the plumbing repair. there is tile on the shower side of the wall,seems to be backed by the gypsum lath that used to back the plaster. Can't tell whats between the lath and the tire though. It did get some of the water on it as well, but since the walls opened up, will it dry out? Should I be concerned about the water trapped between the lower horizontal stud and the trim wood piece around the window? I'm really debating eliminated that window all together and making it a solid wall, but I've never done tile work. What do you estimate the labor might cost to put the tile on the wall, assuming I put all the backer boards, vapor barriers, etc up myself?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	3769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	3770  
    Last edited by 71racecar; 11-11-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: none

Unhappy Re: Shower head water leak in wall

Let me know what you find out. I just moved into a 50yo house with plaster walls that had leaking grout and a leaking shower pipe for years and all the wood on the bottom of the shower is rotted out, and had termites to boot! Termites are treated but the wood is so damaged the shop-vac can remove much of it.

Default Re: Shower head water leak in wall

Racecar,
    Make sure that you have handled the leak. If you've been able to leave the wall open for this period of time, use the shower if you can and be sure that it leaks no more. Make sure the surfaces inside the wall are dry. Water, besides undermining your structures, promotes mold growth. Be sure it's dry before you button it up. I usually spray all the surfaces inside and out with a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of Clorox and water to kill mold spores, then let that dry before closing up any water damaged wall. There are commercial products at the big boxes you can purchase. The windows in shower's that I have seen and dealt with are always candidates for water leaks and it's a compromise between light or water damage potential. If you do take out the window and tile over, most of my time is usually spent before setting the tile, creating a solid, flat, insulated, (usually some 4 mil plastic under the durock) surface to tile upon. Depending on the size of your space and how many tile cuts you'll make, part of a day to two days to set it, a couple of hours the next day to grout, caulk, etc.