+ Reply to Thread

Question What material to use for Wood Fence post?

What is the best material to use for the post, when building a wood fence in the Midwest? Comparison between pressure treated lumber, Cypress and Cedar? What will rot the quickest and What will last the longest? Cedar is naturally bug resistant and does not warp, but have heard rots quicker than PTL. Pressure treated lumber is not true and plum, but supposedly will not rot as quick. Also, do you set in wet concrete or dry concrete, I have seen both ways? Any information would help. Thanks

Default Re: What material to use for Wood Fence post?

Quote Originally Posted by jc,bradley View Post
    What is the best material to use for the post, when building a wood fence in the Midwest? Comparison between pressure treated lumber, Cypress and Cedar? What will rot the quickest and What will last the longest? Cedar is naturally bug resistant and does not warp, but have heard rots quicker than PTL. Pressure treated lumber is not true and plum, but supposedly will not rot as quick. Also, do you set in wet concrete or dry concrete, I have seen both ways? Any information would help. Thanks
    Not familiar with cedar or cypress longevity.

The major detriment to a post is moisture and not being able to get away from it. Posts are generally set in concrete because it's easier than dry packing with dirt or gravel, Unfortunately, two things occur, concrete wicks moisture, so the base of the post is always wet, and, installers generally do not crown the concrete above grade to shed water, so that water can pool around the post, causing rot.

If you don't have a need for concrete, dry setting the post with dirt or gravel will help it last longer. It will be every bit as sturdy as a concrete set post, it's just a tad more work to tamp the dirt in layers and keep the post plumb at the same time.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: What material to use for Wood Fence post?

Quote Originally Posted by John Trivolta View Post
    I also want to know the answer this question for my home interior ???
    Stealth spam? This user's posts are sort-of in context to the threads they are posted in, but don't quite make sense. The only consistent thing is the advertising link in the signature.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.