+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I fix a banging steam radiator?

We have old steam radiators and the one in our baby's room bangs/knocks very loudly when the heat comes on. Can we fix it ourselves or do we need to call in a plumber?

Default Re: How do I fix a banging steam radiator?

This is usually caused by the radiator not being level. Try shimming the end opposite of the steam pipe end.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Great, thank you. My radiator seems stuck to my wood floor. Is it just a matter of using a metal wedge to get it off the floor? (Seems straight forward enough, but I've done enough home projects to know if the most straight forward tasks can sometimes go awry.)

You may need to use a pry bar or 2X4 to lift the radiator and slip shims under the legs. If it is only slightly off regular wood shims should work.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If the shims don't work, replace the thermostatic condensate trap element on the line leaving the radiator. Most brands are available and B&J makes retrofit kits for obsolete brands.
    "Lead by Example"