+ Reply to Thread

Default room temp. doesn't get to thermostat temp

i have several apartments with different heating systems. two of them have thermostats that for example if you set them at 70 degrees they only get to 60 or 65. so you have to set them above what you want the temp to be. one of them is a forced hot air gas heat system with the round honeywell thermostat. the other is a utica boiler steam system with a fairly new Luxe thermostat. i've heard that dust can accumulate on the inner metal pieces of the thermostat and cause it to not work properly. i've cleaned both out. what else could it be? or is it just the heating systems themselves?

Default Re: room temp. doesn't get to thermostat temp

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
    I think you have confused the anticipator setting with the temperature calibration. The anticipator determines the length of the heating cycle and is not used to calibrate the setpoint to the indicator on the thermostat.
    The anticipator is a small heater that causes the thermostat to shut off the heat before it reaches the set point. It is used to anticipate the extra heat that will be output by a heating system after the flame is shut off.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: room temp. doesn't get to thermostat temp

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
    I think you have confused the anticipator setting with the temperature calibration. The anticipator determines the length of the heating cycle and is not used to calibrate the setpoint to the indicator on the thermostat.
    Nope, no confusion. Guess I shoulda included the works......."in addditon".

Post with links was intended simply as an adjunct to tuning the thermostat......after insuring the thermostat is mounted level on the wall, calibrated, etc.

(The fan control on my Peerless unit heater at the shop is via a snap-switch.....that also has its own integral "heating coil". That coil went out a few years back delaying the start up of the fan. Couldn't find a matching replacement easily so I wedged a piece of steel wool between the heat exchanger and face of that snap-switch to transfer some heat over to it faster. Did the trick just dandy. Fan kicks in 90 seconds after the burners.)

Here....try these. These links are a ways down the same page as the anticipator link. All manner of info there.
    http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat/Thermostats9.htm
    http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat/Thermostats5.htm
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-07-2009 at 05:16 PM.