+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crazy p trap

Default crazy p trap

I have a broken p-trap under a bath sink. It is 1 1/2" pipe. it is black and appears to be ABS plumbing. It has a nut that connects the two peices of the p-trap together. The nut and treads are not standard. I cannot go to the local big box hardware store or local specialty plumbing stores to buy a replacement p-trap with a nut that fits the existing threads on the pipe end that is still in place. I have spoken to two professional plumbers and they have never seen these pipes. Again it looks like standard ABS but it is not. Any ideas what I am looking at? I don't have the confidence or knowledge to start cutting and jimmy rigging plumbing.

thanks

Default Re: crazy p trap

Without seeing it for myself, I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what you're working with. I would recommend contacting a plumber to cut out the old and install new parts if that's what's needed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Try an RV parts and service.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

does it look like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	3766  

That picture is exactly what it looks like, the nut and thread that holds the two pieces together aren't standard. the top piece is still connected to the orginal plumbing, the bottom piece is broken. If i go to a plumbing store, I can not find a bottom peice that screws to the original top piece. Any ideas?

thanks

You may be able to find it as a set. Buy the set, use the part you need, toss the rest. Take the piece you have into a plumbing supply house - not the local Big Box. A supply house should have or know where to get what you need.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I did exactly that, the two local plumbing supply stores never seen it before. I cannot buy the the whole thing and toss out the rest. There are two parts to the p-trap the top part is still attached to the house, the bottom is broken, I unscrewed it and bought a new p trap but the plumbing I have in my house is not standard, the new replacement part doesn't fit the originals threads, even of the same size. I am assuming what i have in my house is in millimeters, not inches. Is this possible? the local plumbing stores didn't know and i brought the p-trap with me to show them. I am stuck but haven't tried the RV store yet.

Is your house stick framed or a manufactured home (trailer, mobile home, modular home, ... )? If it's the latter, then you'll likely find it at an RV or mobile home supplier.

You need to replace both parts, they will either be 1-1/4" most common on lavatories, or 1-1/2" most common on kitchen sinks. A knowledgeable salesperson will tell you what you need if you take both halves in.
    "Lead by Example"

You should be able to cut off trap arm going into wall. Get a 1 1/2 poly trap and a trap adaptor you will have to glue it on and maybe cut to length.