+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helpppp!!!!!!

Exclamation Helpppp!!!!!!

my wife and i just bought a 2000 sq ft home built in 1950 on a crawl space foundation. we have had some verrryyy high gas prices during the couple of months of cold weather we have here down south. i came to notice that the home has no insulation under the floors, the duct work (return and supply) is sparsley insulated and the attic is sparsley insulated. to top this all off my windows are drafty and single pane. being in construction i got prices from all my subs and they were pretty cheap. insulating the crawl space with batts and plastic and the attic is $1500. the duct work was $400. the windows were $2000 instaled. (marvin low-e vinyl replacments). with all this being said i would like to know what would pay off first. i know it dont sound to rough on a price but construction is slowing way down for us and i am watching my budget. any info would be great. thanks,
    matt

Default Re: Helpppp!!!!!!

Hi Matt,

I think the best places to spend your money first are on insulating the attic and on weatherizing your windows. Heat rises so it is going to be warmer at your ceiling than at your floor so for the same square footage of floor space and ceiling space you’ll loose more heat out of your ceiling than your floor (if they were both insulated about the same). Also, your floor has more layers of material than your ceiling (subfloor, underlayment, maybe carpeting) and this all adds some insulation value. Ceiling typically only have drywall or plaster so without insulation the heat will escape from there quicker than through the floor.

When you insulate your attic be sure to caulk or use spray foam insulation to block places (wire penetrations, around vent fans, etc) where air leaks through from your ceiling to your attic.

If you want to conserve some cash on your windows you can make your single-pane windows nearly as energy efficient as double-pane windows. Check out the following TOH ****** articles.
    l Adding weather stripping
    l Adding storm windows
    l Insulating around the window (between the frame and the rough opening) -- see the last step in the instructions in this article
    l Switching to spring balances
    l Insulating the weight pockets

Here’s a window insulating kit: Easy Stop window insulating kit.

Good luck.

I agree with Sherry, the biggest bang for your buck would be insulating the ceiling. Being in construction you should be able to build wooden storm windows a lot cheaper than new windows.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks for all the info. its just funny how my subs that gave me the price was telling me that there little bit of work would be the one to pay off first and like i said work is getting slow so i know they are trying to stay bussy. my last questionis what about the duct work? with the pipe that the heat is going through not insulated would that cause the unit to run longer in order to heat the air??

You will have a certain amount of heat lose to the thermal transfer. How much you lose is going the depend on length of run, size of duct, ductwork layout, and air circulation in crawl space. Many times the payback for insulation ductwork is too many years to justify the expenditure.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-07-2009 at 01:53 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb