+ Reply to Thread

Default Wood deck protection?

On a recent show Tom Silva suggested using a stain and varnish mixture for wood decking protection. Will applying this stain & varnish mixture require a lot of prep work with future applications?
    Varnish will flake and typically require scraping and sanding of the surface to prepare it's surface for paint/stain. Will this be the same with this mixture?

Default Re: Wood deck protection?

I didn't see the show but both Thompson's and Behr make a stain/sealer. I'm sure there are others too. I'd be surprised if what they were using was a varnish. I've not seen varnish on decks before. You're right that it would create a maintenance nightmare in about a year or two when you had to recoat it. Anything you put on the deck will breakdown and need re-coating at some point so you won't buy anything by using varnish, anyway.

With sealer, you can just put more on. With varnish, you would have to sc****/sand the finish where it was cracking and peeling. I would not recommend a varnish. Stick to the sealers. You'll still have to re-do it periodically but the prep work will be much less. It will seal out the water and give you a surface that won't be slick when it gets wet, too.

Good Luck.

Default Re: Wood deck protection?

Quote Originally Posted by ma2804 View Post
    You're right that it would create a maintenance nightmare in about a year or two when you had to recoat it.
    Didn't see the show, but I have to agree.