+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: getting on/off 2nd story roof

Hire a chimney sweep that is insured and bonded, there is more to cleaning a chimney than just shoving a brush down it.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

they make piece that fits on the ends of the ladders, this allows you to esentially "walk through the ladder" and it provides a place to set your hands as well. Always strap your ladder to the roof or gutter support

Lee Kendall
    www.kendallscapes.com

I once designed a custom made aluminum roof ladder. The welder asked me if I was aware how much it would cost (it was $400). I replied, " Do you know how much it will cost me if I fall off the roof!".

There are ladder "stand-offs" on the market. These are devices that extend to both sides of the ladder to stabilize the ladder. They bolt to the rails of the ladder. The device also allows you to put the weight of the ladder onto the roof, rather than on the gutters. With rubber feet, out to both sides, this device greatly stabilizes the ladder.

Over the years, I converted to only fiberglas ladders. Fiberglas, precisely because it is heavier than aluminum, makes it more stabil as you climb up and around to get on the roof. At least once in years past, I had to call for help as the gusty wind knocked over the aluminum ladder and left me stranded on the roof!

Fiberglas is also non-conductive of electricity. Many homes still have the power coming into the house with overhead wires. You don't want to make contact with live wires while holding an aluminum ladder!

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    You don't want to make contact with live wires while holding an aluminum ladder!
    Not more than once, anyway.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!