+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default getting on/off 2nd story roof

Hi Folks,
    Each year I have to get up onto my 2nd story roof to sweep my chimney. I don't like heights in the first place. My biggest concern is getting on/off of the roof. The transition getting off the ladder onto the roof, and especially climbing backwards off the roof onto the ladder are what concern me the most.
    Can anyone recommend any tools or attachments that might make this safer? thanks.

Default Re: getting on/off 2nd story roof

The safest thing to do is hire the work done. That's not a flippant remark, it truly is the safest thing you can do if you're afraid of being up there. There is nothing that is going to make that transition any safer or easier, other than to get over your fear of heights and that transition point.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

For me getting comfortable with heights & ladders meant doing it a lot. Since that doesn't sound like it will happen, spruce's suggestion is a good one.
    If you do get on the roof,one suggestion is to have someone hold the ladder when getting on & off. It alleviates the fear of the ladder moving. Another is don't look down. Keep your focus on the ladder as you get on, not on the ground.

Howdy, be sure you first always set your ladder properly usually instructions are on the ladder. If you have rain gutters i suggest once climbing ladder to bring along some rope and tie the ladder to the gutter so it does not fall or slide away. make sure your ladder is long enough that it extends over the roof enough to make getting on an off safe. Can get a harness and roping so you are tethered to the roof.
    The fear is a good thing how much$ to hire the job compared to your heath insurance deductible?

ps good time to make sure your will and life insurance is up to date every year right before you climb that roof....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    ps good time to make sure your will and life insurance is up to date every year right before you climb that roof....
    THAT will help break the fear!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

the first safest is mentioned earlier, hire someone to do it for you.the 2nd is to rent scaffold, you said your house is a 2 story so your looking at 5 lifts. set the last deck at the height of the gutter, this way you can simply walk over onto the roof.

tying off the ladder will definitely help, i have a good friend who is a carpenter as well, he was stepping off the ladder onto the roof to repair a few missing shingles on a house. the ladder slid and he went down. broke his tailbone and 12th vertabrae. hes been off since january and may not be back to work for another 3 months
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Mr Spruce glad you enjoyed the humor.

I've climbed thousands of roofs as a claims rep and before i left paid employment twords the end of more and more i keep thinking just how many roofs can one climb an not get hurt. I joke but 2nd story falls kill people. So be very careful.

yup exactly, thats why i mentioned using scaffold. if you do start to slide down teh roof, you have a level platform to run into first
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Always make sure your ladder extends at least three feet above the edge of the roof so you have something to hang onto (without bending down) as you are making the transition.

When you lean a standard extension ladder against the roof, there are at least two things you must do.

The first is to make sure it is at the proper angle -- either use the "L" guide label on the side, or make sure the top of the rungs are level back-to-front and side-to-side.

The second -- and this is something few people seem to do -- is test to make sure the ladder is stable. Put some of your weight on one foot on the first rung, and with your hands pull the ladder away from the wall. Make sure the ladder does not move side-to-side. If the ladder moves at all, reposition it so that the top is where you want it, the rungs are level AND so it doesn't move when you do the above test.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.