+ Reply to Thread

Default water infiltration at ceiling light fixture

How do I check if it is a serious problem. Do I consult a roofer
    a home inspector.

there are no water stains so far on ceiling

Default Re: water infiltration at ceiling light fixture

Anytime you have water dripping from the ceiling you have a serious problem!

Now, what the cause of that problem is would be hard to say without more information. Is there a bathroom or water source (including house plumbing ) above the leak area? Do you know if you have PEX plumbing or copper? Is the drip constant or only when water is used or when it rains? How old is the roof and what type of roof is it?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi first turn off the circuit breaker that supplies ***** to the light. A roofer to inspect and see if there is a roofing leak would be step 2 a plumbing leak is less but quite a reasonable source for the water too. Home inspector would never be called ok not never but hell forzen over first....

thanks for your advice. It is definetly roof leak. I have a five year old flat roof. How do I correct this problem. The insulation is wet. How much is wet I don't know and how to avoid this problem in future.

Howdy sorry to hear of a 5 year old roof leaking shame on the roofer unless the wind has damaged the roof. Check and see if there are any pipes sticking out of the roof in the area of the light as wear seperation around the pipes is a common leak source. Any hail in you area? Have roofer out to inspect the roof to locate the leak usually a minor repair will resolve it.

Keep in mind that the roof leak could be a considerable distance away from the light fixture. Water takes the path of least resistance, and sometimes that can mean that it travels quite a distance.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.