+ Reply to Thread

Default Taco Pump Leaks (again)

I have a Taco Model 110 pump that is leaking. It was installed around 1970. It leaked before and I replaced the seals about three years ago. The new seals held for a while but now it has started leaking again. It is a real pain working on the pump since I have a closed loop system & I need to drain the entire system to remove the pump.

I did some searches for a replacement motor, but I am having trouble finding a supplier that carries this model. I am a home owner & not a licensed plumber so I have that issue to deal with as well.

Any thoughts on if I should try to repair/replace it? I hate to keep having to tinker with it. I would like to replace it and get another 40 years of good service.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by sclowry; 11-04-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: misspelling

Default Re: Taco Pump Leaks (again)

The large in-line circulators like the 110 are routinely replaced with the 007 cartridge type Taco circulators---these modern circulators are physically much smaller, but can do the same job in most circumstances as the older units, at less than half the price as the old behemoth you have on there now.

Many heating supply parts houses now provide wholesale prices to all customers---check every supplier in your town till you find one who appreciates your business.

It's good practice to install a ball-type shutof valve on either side of the new pump so that it can be replaced or serviced without having to drain the system.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 11-04-2010 at 10:29 PM.

My 110 only has one flange. How would I replace it with the 007 which has two flanges?

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it.

The 007 should be placed on the large, main supply pipe coming out of the boiler in such a way that it is PUMPING AWAY from the expansion tank---the 110 can be simply removed & replaced with soldered copper elbows & short lengths of copper tubing like it was never there---transfer the wiring harness to the location of the new 007 using MC/BX armored cable, observing wiring polarity as per instructions that come with the new pump---use a voltmeter or multimeter to determine the "hot" side of the present wiring setup on the old pump while it's running so you get the wiring straight.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 11-04-2010 at 10:47 PM.