+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Peeling Paint on old Plaster Walls

We recently bought a 1946 home with plaster walls. The paint is peeling off some walls and ceilings just in spots here and there. Some of the areas will split in a small spot and then gradually get bigger. What can we do to keep this from happening? The paint peels through all layers of previous paint down to the plaster. We live in the Southeastern part of America.

Default Peeling Paint on old ceiling

I am having a similar problem this winter (house built 1955; location - Chicago), the paint on the ceiling and top portion of the walls near the ceiling has started coming off in big chip sizes but no moisture is visible. Also, in the vaulted portion in a newer section of the house, the paint is beginning to chip along the edge where the ceiling meets the walls. Is my roof damaged? I have not checked the insulation in my attic for 3 years...how frequently does one typically need to replenish the insulation?

Any ideas what is going on here? I would really hate to have to re-paing the ceilings of 4 different rooms in the house this summer