+ Reply to Thread

Default Latex paint peeling in the bathroom

I painted my bathroom several years ago, but the paint keeps peeling around the tub and shower area. It gets damp, but not soaking wet. I have a fan that I use in the bathroom, and I let the paint cure before I used the bathroom for showering/bathing. I also used a latex primer and latex paint, both of excellant quality. Why is it peeling??

Default Re: Latex paint peeling in the bathroom

What was your prep procedure before you repainted the first time?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I made sure the surface was clean, primed it with a latex primer, then painted over it with a latex paint, all of great quality. I put fans in to help the air circulation as it dried as well. No water is seeping in from behind the wall.

How did you make sure the surface was clean? What was the products and procedure used?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

To add to Spruce's questions ..... by chance do your paint lines butt to existing silicone caulking around these areas ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Ummm actually I'm a paint retailer and my customers are having these problems. I thought it would be easier to say it was my bathroom, but obviously not.

What are possible causes for latex paint peeling in the bathroom? Would an oil based primer help?

The two biggest problems are excessive bathroom moisture from lack of venting or window and improper prep.

Bad venting is cured with adding a vent or opening a window or setting a fan in the bath to blow the moist air out after showers.

Bad prep is usually little to no prep at all. Bathroom walls are coated with body oils, dirt, and dust. This must be cleaned with a TSP solution and well rinsed and allowed to thoroughly dry. Any loose or flaking paint needs to be scrapped down, walls repaired if necessary, then primer would be a good idea. After that two coats of good quality semi-gloss usually do the trick.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 02-12-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Yep...
    Moisture underneath existing paint, AND/OR bad prep. are the top 2 causes.

Other details need be looked at too:
    * Is just the new paint/primer peeling? It could be causing an older layer to separate.
    * Find an inspection-sevice that has a moisture-meter. Have them check lotsa locations on the wall.
    * The cleaning...if you used TSP, it has to be rinsed VERY thoroughly! I'm talkin' 3 or 4 rinses!! If ANY of this residue remains, paint will peel.
    * POWDERED Dirtex is what we recommend for cleaning. Normally it doesn't need rinsing, unless water is getting too dirty. TSP can be fussy to use, unless walls are VERY DIRTY.
    * Have people check the undersides of their peeled paint. If it's a different color than the top, an older layer is separating.
    * Oil primers would only be a slight benefit, but correct prep/cleaning/DRYING has to be done FIRST.

Faron