+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default broken light buls still in the fixture

    When I moved into my home, there are several bulbs broken in the fixtures. It is safe for me to take them out with a pair of pliers if the light switch is off???

    Thank You for your replies.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,256

    Default Re: broken light buls still in the fixture

    The power should be turned off at the breaker, not just the switch.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Posts
    5,621

    Default Re: broken light buls still in the fixture

    As Ed says turn the breaker off. I have seen to many times where the switch was in the neutral line rather than the hot.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwet
    Posts
    1,418

    Default Re: broken light buls still in the fixture

    I've heard that an old tennis ball works pretty good for removing broken light bulbs. Cut a small hole in the ball to go over the stem of the bulb. Or maybe it was a small rubber ball.

    I concur with turning off the breaker. Since you can't be sure which breaker it is, turn off the main.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: broken light buls still in the fixture

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    I've heard that an old tennis ball works pretty good for removing broken light bulbs. Cut a small hole in the ball to go over the stem of the bulb. Or maybe it was a small rubber ball.

    I concur with turning off the breaker. Since you can't be sure which breaker it is, turn off the main.
    Great idea with the tennis ball tya vm

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: broken light buls still in the fixture

    Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    The power should be turned off at the breaker, not just the switch.
    tya for your help. I don't have a main switch to my breaker but i'll just shut them all off until the job is done. LOL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5

    Wink Re: broken light buls still in the fixture

    Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    As Ed says turn the breaker off. I have seen to many times where the switch was in the neutral line rather than the hot.
    Jack
    tya vm for the help

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    near St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    166

    Default Re: broken light buls still in the fixture

    I've also used a trick where you push a chunk of potato into the socket. (You have to trim the potato to the right size to fit into the socket.) The broken shards of the light bulb get imbedded in the potato and then you can unscrew it. Just don't eat the potato when you are done with it! (And like the others said - make sure the breaker is off.)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shamokin, Pa.
    Posts
    645

    Default Re: broken light buls still in the fixture

    I just use a good pair of needlenose And a dose of careful as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,614

    Default Re: broken light buls still in the fixture

    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie_Fergler View Post
    I just use a good pair of needlenose And a dose of careful as well.
    With gloves and safety glasses.


    Did anyone mention to turn off the breaker?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •