+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Electrical question

Help, cannot find answer on internet. I am running 15a 14/2g wire to one light switch from service, from that first switch, I am running 14/3 wire to 2nd switch in order to operate 1 light from 2 sources. I want to add another switch (3rd) to the second switch in order to operate another independent light. Is it possible to tap the 3rd switch into the 2nd switch for a source of electricity? And do I need 3 way switches to do this? How would this be wired if able to do so?
    Last edited by sja41; 11-02-2010 at 08:45 PM.

Default Re: Electrical question

You would need 14/4 from switch 1 to switch 2 (Hot,Neutral, and 2 travelers). The 14/ only supplies Neutral and the 2 travelers.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by sja41 View Post
    Help, cannot find answer on internet. I am running 15a 14/2g wire to one light switch from service, from that first switch, I am running 14/3 wire to 2nd switch in order to operate 1 light from 2 sources. I want to add another switch (3rd) to the second switch in order to operate another independent light. Is it possible to tap the 3rd switch into the 2nd switch for a source of electricity? And do I need 3 way switches to do this? How would this be wired if able to do so?
    Another way using 14/2 and 14/3 ---- depending on location of the fixutres.

If you run 14/2 up to light one from the service --- from there run 14/2 either to switch one or switch two --- run 14/3 between switch one and switch two which will be 3 way switches.

The 14/2 at light one from the service feed will have a 14/2 hot and neutral extended to light two --- run a 14/2 down to switch 3 ( single pole ).

Hopefully this makes sense and helps.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

You should be able to get ***** off the common screw termenal of the three way switch(2),pig tail to single pole switch, then 14/2 from (3rd) to light(2).

Quote Originally Posted by tomn 10 View Post
    You should be able to get ***** off the common screw termenal of the three way switch(2),pig tail to single pole switch, then 14/2 from (3rd) to light(2).
    Wrong, the only time the common screw on switch(2) has p-o-w-e-r is when the light is on, there is no p-o-w-e-r there when the light is off.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by tomn 10 View Post

Referring to the attached schematic of 3 way switch configuration you see they are in a master / slave arrangement.

What you suggest can be done , however , it needs to be switch specific.

. If they are located side by side in the same gang box – then yes -- piece of cake.

Otherwise , if the master switch and 3rd ( single pole ) switch are located some distance apart then it’s more work and cable to run with your suggestion.

The other thing to consider is the size of j-boxes used to accommodate the number of conductors and preventing overstuffing the boxes.
    In my experience many DIY’ers walk into their home supply store – pick the standard size of the shelf and way they go --- with little regard of sizing.

That’s one reason for the suggestion I made.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

In other word your saying you have to go from the first 3way switch that has the ***** source, and use larger gang boxes?

The Op stated that he ran ***** from panel to switch (1) then 14/3 to switch (2) that would provide neutral and 2 travelers from switch(1). He then wants to run from switch(2) to a single pole switch(3). The only screw in the circuit that has ***** all the time is the common on switch(1). To get ***** to switch(3) he would need to replace the 14/3 with 14/4 between switch(1) and switch(2) or run a separate 14/2 from switch(1) to switch(3) or follow the path Canuk suggested. At any rate in the OP's wiring description the only screw that is constantly hot is the common screw on switch(1).
    Jack

Thanks Jack and Canuk I understand what your saying. I have one question what colors are the conducter in 14/4?

Southwire under the ROMEX®brand name contains four conductors-black, white, red, and white with red stripe- and a bare copper grounding conductor. Other brands may use different colors.Jack