+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    188

    Default Get Help with Pruning from TOH's experts

    Ever have a question about pruning trees or shrubs? Heard some old wives tales that you aren't sure are correct? Now is your time to get your questions answered.

    Post all of your pruning concerns and questions on this thread for a chance to have your question answered by TOH's experts and possibly featured in the magazine! No question is too small—if you've got one, we want to hear it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2

    Default Help with Pruning a Crab Apple

    Hi There,
    We just bought a house last winter that has a mature crabapple tree that was poorly pruned and then seriously neglected for several years. I know that I need to trim quite a bit, but I'm not sure about the time of year, or if I should cut everything back all at once, or wait over a series of years. Please help!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,000

    Default Re: Help with Pruning a Crab Apple

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenbl View Post
    Hi There,
    We just bought a house last winter that has a mature crabapple tree that was poorly pruned and then seriously neglected for several years. I know that I need to trim quite a bit, but I'm not sure about the time of year, or if I should cut everything back all at once, or wait over a series of years. Please help!
    I would prune in the late winter or very early spring while the sap is still down. Don't just give it a haircut, but study the tree and try to take out crossing branches back to a limb and thin out . Don't cut branches flush, but leave part of the collar. If you are doing this yourself, you could work on it a few years, but their is no reason it can't all be done at once more or less.
    Don't paint the cuts.
    Spraying with a dormant oil & lime sulfer will prevent a lot of pests.
    I hope you don't mind me throwing my 2 cents in. I've done a lot of pruning and study about it over the years, but not an official expert.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Help with Pruning a Crab Apple

    Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    I hope you don't mind me throwing my 2 cents in. I've done a lot of pruning and study about it over the years, but not an official expert.
    Not at all! Thanks for the advice!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Get Help with Pruning from TOH's experts

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
    Ever have a question about pruning trees or shrubs? Heard some old wives tales that you aren't sure are correct? Now is your time to get your questions answered.

    Post all of your pruning concerns and questions on this thread for a chance to have your question answered by TOH's experts and possibly featured in the magazine! No question is too small—if you've got one, we want to hear it.
    I have several mature ligustrum/viburnum bushes in south Louisiana. How can I take cuttings successfully?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •