+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabinet help

Angry Cabinet help

My kitchen cabinets were supposed to be custom built, but we found out after we moved in and years later that the cabinets was custom built but the doors were cheap particle board covered with paint.

My question is now the doors are all messed up, the paint is peeling and the particle board is showing due to cleaning and water dropping. What can be done to fix this problem? I have these cabinets in all the bathrooms and the kitchen and they really look bad in the kitchen compared to the bathroom. I need some serious help because I am really upset each and every time I enter my kitchen and look at those horrible doors.I also have three large drawers on one set of the cabinetry

Please help in desperate need of some assistant.:confused

Default Re: Cabinet help

I hope you're going to contact the person who made your cabinets. You didn't get what you were promised!

It does sound like you need new doors and fronts. I hope your carpenter will make good on his/her contract!

Find a good person who does cabinet refacing. They replace the cabinet doors and drawer fronts and should be able to get it done for you. If the cabinets are painted, you should be able to get the doors and drawer fronts in a paint grade wood and repaint all the cabinets with the same paint.

Quote Originally Posted by HoffDNA View Post
    I hope you're going to contact the person who made your cabinets. You didn't get what you were promised!

It does sound like you need new doors and fronts. I hope your carpenter will make good on his/her contract!
    That's not exactly true. A significant portion of labor goes into making doors and drawer fronts, consequently, many cabinet shops will buy commercially made doors and install them on their own custom built cabinets to keep production rates up and costs down. Where the custom shop did fail was by not making this clear to the homeowner, as well as what the materials would be and why it would be a poor choice for a wet location. Paint does not last, and when it fails, it exposes a material that swells like a sponge when it gets wet.

The fix is to replace the doors and drawer fronts. The easiest way will be to contact a cabinet refacing contractor, as previously suggested. They can order and install the new doors/drawer fronts for you. The key here will be to NOT make the same mistake and use an MDF or particle board product again. You may have to choose a different style of door to get real wood, but a painted wood will last far longer and can be refinished/repainted when the need arises.

You will also have to keep in mind that the commercial doors likely came prefinished, all the cabinet maker did was install them. When you order wood doors/drawers, it is likely that they will require painting once they get to your house, resulting in additional expense. All something to discuss with the cabinet refacing contractor.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!