+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling Fan Wiring

Hi everyone. I'm installing a ceiling fan with light, that is replacing an existing ceiling fan with light. I need help with the wiring:

The fan has the following: BLACK=fan motor, BLUE=light, WHITE=neutral.

My wires from the ceiling box are BLACK, RED, WHITE, GROUND. I didnt label my ceiling wires because I'm not sure what they do. When the old fan/light was hooked up, the one switch in the room operated the light, and the fan operated completely independent of the switch. It was hooked up as BLACK-BLACK, WHITE-WHITE, BLUE-RED. The old fan has the BLACK labeleld as light.

I want the switch to control both fan and light. What are your suggestions on the connections?

thank you
    Last edited by picsaro; 10-30-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Default Re: Ceiling Fan Wiring

If the switch is a single pole switch, two screws on one side plus a ground, the black wire from the switch to the fan/light will go to the black&blue wire at the fan,and white to white. Make sure the red wire is not getting current from some where else. If the switch is a three way switch,that has three screws and a ground, that is where the red wire come from, just replace the switch with a single pole switch, do away with red wire.

Default Re: Ceiling Fan Wiring

Cap the Red, hook the black to the fan black and blue, the white to white and the griund to fan ground.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb