+ Reply to Thread

Red face leaky basement for 10 years

Situation: outside area has cement slab covered by fiberglass roof. After a few days of regular rain we start getting water in the basement. During heavy rainfall sometimes I can literally hear the water running down the wall. Water damage already happened to the cabinet doors, mold present, etc. Several years ago got 2 estimates for repair. 1 involved injecting a type of foam - $3000. The other contractor said the foundation would have to be exposed and then repaired - $10,000. We didn't have the money. Nothing done. I want to fix this. What to do? Ideas? I am disabled, husband is physically somewhat limited as well. Not wealthy. House behind us is at somewhat higher elevation. Our gutters are dilapidated and in at least one place have the attempted "duct tape" fix. Please help. Need ideas of how to prevent the water from getting in & or how to divert the water away from the foundation. Thanks
    Last edited by daisymae17; 11-01-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: need to make addition & correct spelling

Default Re: leaky basement for 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by daisymae17 View Post
    Situation: outside area has cement slab covered by fiberglass roof. After a few days of regular rain we start getting water in the basement. During heavy rainfall sometimes I can literally hear the water running down the wall. Water damage already happened to the cabinet doors, mold present, etc. Several years ago got 2 estimates for repair. 1 involved injecting a type of foam - $3000. The other contractor said the foundation would have to be exposed and then repaired - $10,000. We didn't have the money. Nothing done. I want to fix this. What to do? Ideas? I am disabled, husband is physically somewhat limited as well. Not wealthy. House behind us is at somewhat higher elevation. Our gutters are dilapidated and in at least one place have the attempted "duct tape" fix. Please help. Need ideas of how to prevent the water from getting in & or how to divert the water away from the foundation. Thanks
    One of the first things is ensure the ground slopes away from the house.

Second is to replace the gutters and have the down spouts extended away from the house ( make sure that the first step is looked after as well )

As for the foundation --- are there cracks allowing water penetration?

Personally, I'm with repairs and waterproofing from the exterior -- it is expensive and intrusive -- but --- it is the best method.
    However, starting with the first two steps will go along way to helping the issue.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Default Re: leaky basement for 10 years

Taking the steps to prevent that ground around the house from becoming over saturated with water, as canuk suggested is the first course of action.

Start with good working gutters and extended downspouts. I am afraid that because of the cement slab outside, grading the terrain as to slope away from the house might be tricky.

And having your foundations dug out to replace or install a drain tile by the footing, is probably out of question, specially if you are on a tight budget.

Besides being quite costly, exterior drain tiles are known to fail, clog, and collapse overtime. And, because they are buried, there is no way to service, excepting by digging them out all over again.

Here's more information on external drain tiles.

I suggest you look into interior drain tiles instead. They do the same thing external drain tiles do, collect water and discharge it away. In this case, through a sump pump system. They have been used with success for over 20 years, and can be installed for a fraction of the cost of a conventional drain, because there is no digging out the foundation.

And because they run along the interior of the basement, they can be fitted with ports that allow the system to be serviced periodically and as needed. This is why these systems are usually backed up by Transferable Lifetime Warranties.

Please call a few companies in your area that provide this kind of service and see what they have to offer.