Unhappy Percolating Toilets

Sometimes our two toilets (master bath and guest bath)percolate just like a coffee pot. The water fills the bowl to within 1/2" of overflowing. It sometimes needs to be plunged and other times the bowl will clear on its own. Does anyone have any solutions. We've checked the vent pipe, its clear. We even tried dishwashing liquid in the bowl that someone suggested. We do know our neighbors were having the same situation.
    HELP !!!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you give. Calcats

Default Re: Percolating Toilets

It sounds like the sewage line between the toilets is partially clogged. Use an auger in both toilets and in the main line to the street or septic. Then auger the vents above both toilets from the roof of the house. To give the vents a thorough rinse I put the garden hose down the vents as far as it would reach. That should do it, but if you still have trouble I would try talking to some of the experts at Home Depot or getting a Home Depot do-it-yourself book. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Smontgomery View Post
    It sounds like the sewage line between the toilets is partially clogged. Use an auger in both toilets and in the main line to the street or septic. Then auger the vents above both toilets from the roof of the house. To give the vents a thorough rinse I put the garden hose down the vents as far as it would reach. That should do it, but if you still have trouble I would try talking to some of the experts at Home Depot or getting a Home Depot do-it-yourself book. Good Luck!
    I agree with everything except consulting Home Depot for anything! More often than not, the information you get for HD employees is completely inaccurate and could cause further, more dangerous issues. If you seek professional help, let your fingers do the walking in the yellow pages, don't wander the aisles of Evil Orange!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you and your neighbors are both have issues the problem likely is the municipality's, call them to come clear the sewer which "should" be free. If your almost flooding...it will happen sooner or later.
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

flush toilet when it is about to over flow run tub and sink. If tub and sink drain fine then it is def the toilets. If your neighbor is having the same problem then it might be the sewer main its self. Chances are they have the same toilets. Not all toilets are created equal. And as Spruce said earlier never consult HD for anything. A plumber buddy of mine had an elder woman at his Church get advice from HD They told her to dump hot water with the drain cleaner down her sink. it boiled over and give her chemical burns.