+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new front door

Default new front door

I may need Tom LOL but I have a front door that is 33" w ,do I have to put a 36" door if I replace it that means new header and framing a new door?
    Last edited by dooman; 10-30-2010 at 07:08 PM.

Default Re: new front door

ok first off your post doesnt make a whole lot of sense. but i take it you mean that you want to install a new 36" door in a opening that now has a 32" door?

if you want a larger door then yes you will need a header, which will require removing the trim on one side so to reveal the existing framing.. measure over from the jack stud 38 1/2" inches this will be the edge of the new jack stud which means you will have to strip drywall or plaster to install it and the header
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by dooman View Post
    I may need Tom LOL but I have a front door that is 33" w ,do I have to put a 36" door if I replace it that means new header and framing a new door?
    Not only Tom may you need, but you may also need a construction permit. In my town, a permit would be "required" if changing the size of the header. That said, who's gonna know? Its not like you are adding a new room.

Are there more homes just like yours on the same block? Do any of those have wider doors? It could be the doorway was framed to allow for a wider door, which is typical construction methodology for a tract home. Before going too far, you might want to pull off the interior trim and some drywall to get an idea of where the king and jack studs are. You may or may not already have the room to make the door wider, depending on how the wall was framed originally. Do you have sidelight windows? or a perpendicular wall close by? Those would effect the framing around the door. Typically front entry doors are 36" and rear door are narrower.

What is the exterior siding?

you're grandfathered in and you can replace it with another 32" door according to the mass building code. if you want to install a 36" door then you'll have a nice day's work ahead of you and you should pull a permit due to the wall being structural and having to change the header. replacing it with another 32" door should only take a few hours assuming you're replacing the door jamb too. if you're simply replacing the slab, then you can do it in about a half hour.