+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mold

Post Mold

I was wondering if anyone had some knowledge about Mold. I have a brick chimney that goes from the basement to the roof and it goes up thru the middle of my apartment. Im having a problem with the paint that is on the drywall that is covering the brick chimney is peeling and turning dark brown and black spots on it. It only does it like 3 feet down the wall from the ceiling. The rest of the wall is normal. So, last winter I sc****d all the peeling paint and sprayed bleach on it and let it dry. And then I put some new drywall mud on it and smoothed it out and sanded it and then I primed and painted it and it looked good. Then about 5 months later which would be about 2 months from today the paint started peeling again. What would be the best way on cleaning this the right way? And how can I tell if it is really mold or not?

Default Re: Mold

Quote Originally Posted by rob.burns2010 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had some knowledge about Mold. I have a brick chimney that goes from the basement to the roof and it goes up thru the middle of my apartment. Im having a problem with the paint that is on the drywall that is covering the brick chimney is peeling and turning dark brown and black spots on it. It only does it like 3 feet down the wall from the ceiling. The rest of the wall is normal. So, last winter I sc****d all the peeling paint and sprayed bleach on it and let it dry. And then I put some new drywall mud on it and smoothed it out and sanded it and then I primed and painted it and it looked good. Then about 5 months later which would be about 2 months from today the paint started peeling again. What would be the best way on cleaning this the right way? And how can I tell if it is really mold or not?
    You have a moisture issue that's causing your problem -- possibly condensation or a leak at the roof / chimney connection.
    Secondly --- that drywall should be cut out and replaced because there's a very probability the backside of the drywall is covered with mold.

The source of the moisture needs to be addressed first.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Mold is not the problem, it is a symptom. There are ways to test for mold, usually expensive, but if its significant, then your basement smells like mold, no need test. You need to correct the moisture source. All paint will fail when covering a water damaged substrate. Paint is not your only problem, mold will destroy your drywall and any wood studs or wood framing or wood trim. Mold feeds on the celluose of these materials but only successully grows in moist areas. A moisture meter will tell you what areas are wet.

We had the same problem, one afternoon a feeler bolt followed that water line from the chimney down into our living room and out the door. Then came the big bolt and blew the top of our chimney clean away.. You can check the flashing, if its a old house it could be time to replace, also re sealing the bricks. Good Luck!

Lee Kendall
    Roof and Exterior Cleaning

^I forgot, check the chimney cap? Could be as simple as it came loose and it letting water into the bricks now