+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shower niche

Default Shower niche

Ok, here's the situation; we want to remove the fiberglass surround of the shower and put tile in instead, since this would remove the shelving in the shower, we want to install a niche that would run the length of the shower and be tall enough for shampoo, body wash, etc. Aside from never having done this before, we want to make sure that water doesn't collect in the niche. Can anyone tell me how we should go about doing this?

Default Re: Shower niche

I guess you are talkiing about making this as deep as the 2x4 wall cavity. What I have done in the past is put a small angle to drain into the shower. no holding water. I usally put in a couple of wooden rulers against the outside of the wall and then some backing board for a shower percet grade is set

if you want something that runs the length of the shower and you're tiling the shower, the only option is installing a solid shelf that would stick out into the shower by about 3-4". not the route that i'd take. if your walls are framed with 2x4 studs then you can put in a niche, recessed between the studs as tall as you want it. you can even put one on the side wall and one on each end if you need alot of storage space. another option is to put in corner shelves which you can find at any tile store or even a home improvement store. whatever you do install, make sure that the bottom is sloped 1/4" per foot to allow the water to drain. as for running a shelf the length of the shower, i wouldn't recommend it.

thanks for the advice, i think that we will try putting in multiple smaller niches rather than shelving. i really appreciate your help