View Poll Results: After aerating my lawn, should I...

Voters
2. This poll is closed
  • Leave the soil plugs

2 100.00%
  • Rake them up and remove them

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Default Leave plugs after aerating lawn?

I am going to be aerating my lawn for the first time. I've seen Roger do this on TOH, but can't seem to find the video on this website.

My question for anybody who may know is: After aerating my lawn, should I leave the plugs of soil on my lawn in order allow them to break apart and re-mulch my lawn or should I rake them up and remove them so that they don't just recompact the soil?

Default Re: Leave plugs after aerating lawn?

I'd leave them and let them break down.
    -Daryl, learning how to keep up with an 80 year old house in PA

I'm not so sure that there's a wrong answer to your question.

By raking them up, the lawn will look better.

If you leave them, the lawn looks like poop, but, aeration is to get air and moisture deeper into the root base of the grass. Leaving the plugs does add a little to the compaction, but not significantly. I would be more concerned with them creating bumps and lumps in the yard faster than normal.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Where I live in extreme southern Canada, when we aerate our lawn we always leave the plugs. They will dry up and break down in a couple of weeks. Although I have never removed the plugs, I was taught once that if you suffer from extremely compacted soil to remove the plugs by racking them, but adding a layer of sand to the lawn to fill in the holes of the plugs that you removed. Doing this for several years will allow the top layer of soil where the roots grow to become less compacted. An even better choice to sand is to use a true genuine compost. This will allow the soil to become less compacted while at the same time providing the lawn with an excellent source of nutrients that will help thicken and green your lawn.