+ Reply to Thread

Default Install hardwood flooring over parquet on a slab?

My family lives in a 1954 Ranch home. We love our 1200 sq.ft. 3/1.5 "starter retirement" home. Currently, the house has wall to wall carpet, but we discovered it is installed over parquet flooring. I found two other homes in my community with the same floor plan, and more than likely built by the same builder, and those homes have regular hardwood floors. The difference is our home is on a slab, whereas the other two have a crawl space. Are we able to install a floating floor or a regular hardwood floor over the parquet, or should we remove the carpet, pad, and parquet before properly prepping and initiating installation of a new hardwood floor?

Blessings,
    Shakota

http://www.barefoot-soul.com

Default Re: Install hardwood flooring over parquet on a slab?

Since you have carpet over the parquet already, changing the carpet to hardwood shouldn't be an issue as far as clearance under doors goes. A floating floor could be installed over the parquet as long as the parquet is in good condition.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Install hardwood flooring over parquet on a slab?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Since you have carpet over the parquet already, changing the carpet to hardwood shouldn't be an issue as far as clearance under doors goes. A floating floor could be installed over the parquet as long as the parquet is in good condition.
    True, but this also limits the products that can be installed. Most floating floors are laminates - poor imitations of hardwood. Some engineered hardwoods (even a solid hardwood like Yunkers) can be installed a s a floating floor, but most would require either glue or mechanical fasteners like staples or nails.

If I wanted a better quality hardwood floor, I would remove the parquet. That presents a few other issues, such as the clearance under doors mentioned (or more specifically, the clearance already established by undercutting jambs and casings). But those issues can be solved.

Jim
    www.TheFloorPro.com