+ Reply to Thread

Default Lathe and Plaster : Stud Finding and Anchoring

Hi All,

These two issues have always been a problem for me when it comes to lathe and plater walls:
    (1) How do I find studs
    (2) How do I anchor things that aren't on studs

(1) So i bought a fancy stud finder with "Deep Stud" mode, but even this has trouble finding studs behind lathe and plaster. What is the best/easiest/recommended way to find studs? And don't mention the knocking-on-the-wall trick, that does not work for me.

(2) In the case I need to place something where there is no stud, what is the best way to anchor objects to lathe and plaster? I have tried the wing flip anchors but they aren't usually deep enough to get behind the lathe and plaster.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,
    ScKaSx

Default Re: Lathe and Plaster : Stud Finding and Anchoring

1] A small hand held metal detector will help you find the nails in the lathe or rare earth magnets, hold them lightly and slid on the wall and you find the nails.

2] You can buy wing type anchor bolts with 3" or even longer screws more than long enough to work on plaster and lathe and you can buy plastic screw in anchors that will work but you have to drill the right size hole.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If the room has crown moulding, you could also try finding nails used to hang that, then go straight down.

Thank you sirs, those are very good suggestions! I have tried the magnet technique, the only problem with that is that I had one of those pendulum magnets and the wall texture is bumpy enough that most of the time it would touch the magnet. Maybe investing in a metal detector is the best solution.

Cheesr,
    ScKaSx

Quote Originally Posted by ScKaSx View Post
    Maybe investing in a metal detector is the best solution.

Cheesr,
    ScKaSx
    Haven't investigated "affordable" simple (cheapy) metal detectors for 10 years or so, but Radio Shack used to have one that was around $20. Would be good for what you need at the moment and will easily find those lost nuts, bolts, & screws that you drop in the lawn.

That's the one I carry everyday & dig out of the truck when needing to find the studs on a wood lath and plaster wall. Never failed me yet.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-05-2009 at 09:08 PM.

In the last issue of TOH, Norm gave a couple of hints. First was to look at the baseboard and look for nails and follow the nail line up the wall. The other was to take a faceplate off a wall switch or outlet and slip a wire or hanger in between the box and wall until you hit the stud (so push the wire to the left or right of the box. I guess if this is not the stud you are using you could then measure from this stud over to where you are working.

Our house is lathe and plaster; our stud finder is hit and miss. We use the outlet trick mentioned above and measure off from that. It is still hit and miss, but my husband drills a small pilot hole to make sure the stud is there.

After trying a lot of product to fasten things; we found "Wall Dogs". So far they work great and we even used them to hold up our cabinets. Good Luck.