+ Reply to Thread

Default install lap siding straight?

Howdy installing cement lap siding 12' Wondering how to make it straight as a little off by the time get to the top of the wall its allot off.Any body got some helpful hints. I think now should of started the first one diagional and as i get off then at some point one would be horizonal- a little late day humor....

Default Re: install lap siding straight?

We would make story poles and lay it off using dividers; That would make the courses fan out evenly to conceal the difference.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Snap a chalk line every 3 to 5 rows (before starting siding) to keep things on track.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

start out level by shooting your elevations with a laser level. then snap lines for every course. just hide the chalk line. when you get to the tops of windows crack out hte laser again to check to see if things are still running good, same goes for the last course before getting up into gable ends
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Howdy thank all of you for responding. I will use your advice. I also went to hardie web page an in the install section BEST PRATICES- it really tells you allot about how to install thier products. Learned today that striking a line with a razor knife and applying pressure snaps the siding. So no cutting with a saw- no dust- happy days.

score and snaps works but doent make a clean cut. wont really work for notching around windows and doors. nibblers work best for less dust
    fire up the saw and make some dust