+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing Wainscoting

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to treat a heat/air return when installing wainscoting?

Thanks!

Default Re: Installing Wainscoting

More info please. What kind of wainscot, what color of wainscot, how large of AC grill, where is it located?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

- Raised panel
    - Oak
    - located on wall, above baseboard
    - Return is 22 1/2 inches by 30 1/2 inches
    - Return has hinged doors, lourves, with filter

Husband will build the panels.

Thanks!

Is the grill high enough to be centered in the raised panel? If not, can it be raised up?

When the layout for the wainscot is done, start by centering a panel over the grill and work outwards from it, that way you're providing the best possible aesthetic location for the grill. If the grill is not properly positioned to work within a raised panel, the leave the area with the grill as a flat panel and let everything else be raised. Paint the grill the same color as the finished wainscot will be to blend it in as much as possible.

While expensive, the grill could be relocated to another area of the house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you so much for your ideas.

My plan was to gather info and present to husband - hilarious because when I told him what I was doing, he told me he had a plan - it was the same as yours!!!

You're welcome. Post back with progress and pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by bama52 View Post
    - Raised panel
    - Oak
    - located on wall, above baseboard
    - Return is 22 1/2 inches by 30 1/2 inches
    - Return has hinged doors, lourves, with filter

Husband will build the panels.

Thanks!
    When the layout for the wainscot is done, start by centering a panel over the grill and work outwards from it, that way you're providing the best possible aesthetic location for the grill. If the grill is not properly positioned to work within a raised panel, the leave the area with the grill as a flat panel and let everything else be raised. Paint the grill the same color as the finished wainscot will be to blend it in as much as possible.

Panelling is a wall covering constructed from rigid or semi-rigid components. These are traditionally interlocking wood, but could be plastic or other materials.