+ Reply to Thread

Default Cutting butcher block

We purchased standard size butcher block to build an island in our kitchen (because we are cheap). We need to size on large piece into two countertops and also make a sink cut out. The only info I have seen as to cutting is the type/size of saw blade. Is it really that simple?

Default Re: Cutting butcher block

Okay, this is getting embarrassing. I have posted about four questions and have not gotten responses to three of them. For anyone wondering out there - YES it is that easy to cut butcher block. My husband used his trusty circular saw with a brand new blade and cut it like butter.

Sorry I missed your post earlier. I was going to suggest a strait edge and a circular saw to cut the large into small.
    As far as the sink cut out their are 2 ways that work well for me. One is to drill a hole near the edge of the cutout but inside the scrap area and cut it out with a jigsaw. The second way, which I prefer with thicker material, is to lay out the lines and plunge a circular saw into the line and cut the straight parts with it then finish up the corners with a jigsaw.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I don't think I would even want to try a jigsaw plunge cut on something as thick as butcher block. Have ruined enough blades plunging 3/4" plywood.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

My husband did the plunge cut with the circular saw for the sink. It worked great and he just cut out the corners with the jig saw.