+ Reply to Thread

Default Venting a new sink, is it needed, easiest option?

I am moving a kitchen sink to another inside wall and am wondering if I need a vent. In my mind, the main stack is the vent since it goes all the way to the roof. If I do need one, I recently saw a cap that goes on a vent pipe that allows it to be "vented" inside the cabinet. I think there was a filter on it. Does anyone know what I am talking about? BAsically I know it will be very difficult to access a vent if I move the sink. What are my options? Can I vent it to an outside wall or do I have to go to a roof?

Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Venting a new sink, is it needed, easiest option?

There are two ways of dealing with this. Probably the easiest, which may or may not be acceptable to the inspectors in your area, is the vent cap you mention. It allows air to enter the drain so the trap doesn't get sucked dry, but prevents sewer gases from entering the room. Some places may require that this vent cap be placed above the high-water level of the sink.

The other way, which is more complicated but accepted everywhere, is to emulate an island sink vent. Here is a thread on another forum that describes it.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

The "cap" you are talking about is the Studor vent http://www.ipscorp.com/studor you would need to check with your local building dept to see if they are allowed by code in your area and in your application.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you both for your help! This will be helpful when discussing options with my plumber.

Regards