+ Reply to Thread

Default Cold Stairway and Vestibule

There is a stairway leading down to my front door. The entryway is small, about 50 square feet. My central air and heating ducts do not travel down to this part of the house. When the house was designed the developer installed an electric wall heater. I would like to replace this heater with another electric heater that is energy efficient and has a remote thermostat I could install on first floor landing. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Cold Stairway and Vestibule

First of all, a new electric resistance heater won't be any more efficient than another. All heaters of this type are 100% efficient: if you put 300 watts of electricity in, you get 300 watts of heat out.

What can make your heater more efficient is to install an electronic programmable line voltage thermostat such as made by Cadet Mfg:
    • TH110 - Wall thermostat that works with any line-voltage heater (Double-pole, 240 volts only)
    • TH106 - Wall thermostat that works with any line-voltage heater (Single-pole, 120 or 240 volts)
    • Smart Base - baseboard-mount thermostat that only works with Cadet heaters
    Program it so that it only heats during the times that you are likely to be using this space. Have it turn off when you are away or in bed.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Smile Re: Cold Stairway and Vestibule

yes there is options what you are looking for is electric hydronic base board so when it heats it retains the heat to disapate not just on/off

Default Re: Cold Stairway and Vestibule

Quote Originally Posted by pomer View Post
    yes there is options what you are looking for is electric hydronic base board so when it heats it retains the heat to disapate not just on/off
    A hydronic heater tends to stabilize the temperature so temperature swings aren't as severe. It can provide better comfort than a standard baseboard or wall heater. I don't think it will reduce costs, however.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.