+ Reply to Thread

Question Electrical water heater timers

i WANT TO PUT A TIMER ON OUR WATER HEATER.i'VE BEEN TOLD YES THEY SAVE ENERGY AND NO THEY DON'T SAVE ENERGY. HAS ANYONE INSTALLED A TIMER AND IF SO HAVE YOU SEE ANY SAVINGS

Default Re: Electrical water heater timers

The answer is.... it depends.

If your water heater is well insulated, the difference may be negligible.

If your water heater is in the heated space of your home, your total energy savings may be negligible -- any heat lost by your water heater just contributes to heating the house and is energy the furnace won't need to provide. In the summer, you may see a greater energy savings in that the air conditioner doesn't need to run as much, but the warmer incoming water temperature means that the water heater is using less energy anyway.

If your water heater is in unheated space -- a garage, the basement, or crawl space -- then a timer may present a significant cost savings on electricity, especially if you have an older water heater with poor insulation.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Electrical water heater timers

I installed one (Leviton "Little Grey Box") four years ago on a 50 gallon GE (12 year warranty tank) fairly well insulated unit in our unheated basement.

My water heating costs went down by about $200 a year (roughly $20 a month). The reason has less to do with the tank and insulation than with the fact that the heater is only on about 5 hours a day now. It is timed to come on about 5:30AM, stay on for 2 hours, then come on again about 5:00 PM and stay on for 3 hours.

The heater is good enough that that amount of time gives us plenty of water for showers, etc. and the leftover hot water stays hot enough we don't need the heater. We have never run out of hot water, and if we are going to be doing a lot during the "off" hours, there is a switch you throw on the outside of the timer to turn it on manually.

I think that they are really worth it.

Good luck!